Visual Attention, Perception, and Memory Age Norms
Names a removed object when shown several familiar objects for a few seconds:
- 3.0 - show 3 objects, remove 1 object, and ask the child which one is missing
- 4.6 - show 4 objects, remove 1 object, and ask the child which one is missing
Tells whether 2 simple pictures are:
- 3.9 - the same or different
- 3.0 - walks slowly on wet, icy, or slippery surfaces
- 3.6 - demonstrates caution by avoiding hot stoves, knives, heights, electric outlets, deep water, broken glass, etc.
Recognizes simple repeating patterns:
- 3.9 - matches a sequence or pattern of 3 to 6 shapes/beads
- 4.6 - continues a pattern of shapes/beads in a sequence
Names or points to the missing part:
- 4.3 - of a simple picture, such as a missing wheel on a car or a missing leg on a horse
- 4.6 - any 4 objects seen in a simple picture shown to the child for 4 seconds
Hearing Attention, Perception, and Memory Age Norms
Imitates several animal sounds:
- 2.3 - arf, meow, moo, oink, baa, neigh
Repeats sentences accurately:
- 2.3 - 3 syllables: "Toys are fun."
- 2.6 - 4 syllables: "I want that ball"
- 3.0 - 5-6 syllables: "I am a big boy/girl now."
- 3.6 - 7-8 syllables: "I like peanut butter cookies."
- 4.6 - 10 syllables: "The black, furry cat ran through the backyard"
Identifies at least 3 objects by:
- 2.9 - the sounds they make.
Follows related requests in correct order:
- 2.9 - 2-step commands
- 3.6 - 3-step commands
Repeats sequences of numbers:
- 2.9 - 2 digits: 4-7
- 3.6 - 3 digits: 3-8-5
- 4.0 - 4 digits: 2-7-6-10
- 5.0 - 5 digits: 3-1-8-6-9
Follows unrelated requests in correct order:
- 3.6 - 2-step commands
- 4.6 - 3-step ;commands
Understands complex directions:
- 4.3 - Examples of directions:
"Point to the tall boy who is not running."
"Point to the small dog with brown ears and spots."